The head of Nevada’s new COVID-19 task force is calling for more testing. MGM CEO Jim Murren who is volunteering to lead the task force says the state is competing with larger states with more money and the federal government to get the tests it needs. Murren tells The Reno Gazette-Journal without more testing, we can’t predict when we’ll be able to flatten the curve.
Archives for March 2020
The Food Bank of Northern Nevada is concerned as more people are laid off amid the COVID-19 outbreak continues, they could see a shortage of food. News 4 reports there’s between a 30 and 50 percent increase in demand and donations are down. A spokesman says they have enough food for the next few weeks-but long-term, the picture is bleak. They’re asking for donations and say just $1 equates to three meals.
The coronavirus pandemic has led to the postponement or cancellation of more than half of conventions and conferences scheduled through June at the Reno Sparks Convention Center. Now the facility is left eying deep cuts.
Burning Man stopped short of saying the week-long musical festival in the Black Rock desert is canceled…but they’ve postponed the sale of tickets that was supposed to happen April 8th. No alternative date has been announced. If the event’s canceled, anyone who bought presale tickets would likely be refunded.
The number of positive cases of COVID-19 is up to 1,044 as of Monday night. The new figures come from the Nevada Health Response data portal, which includes 17 deaths reported. The Washoe County Health Officials confirmed a second and third death related to COVID-19 in the county Monday afternoon. The two new deaths involved a woman in her 30s with underlying health issues and a woman in her 80s, also with underlying health issues.
The Northern Nevada community is grieving the loss of Bruce McAllister. The Washoe County Health District confirmed that McAllister was the first COVID-19 death in Washoe County. The 47-year-old Sparks resident had Graves’ disease and had his thyroid removed years ago because of an autoimmune disorder. However McAllister’s wife, Lana McAllister said he was mostly active and healthy.
Washoe County sees its first death from COVID-19 over the weekend. The man was in his forties and had traveled to New York City recently; he was hospitalized on March 23rd. conditions. Kevin Dick, the district health officer for the county says they’re “devastated” and their thoughts are with the man’s family. Washoe County saw an uptick in case over the weekend as well. There are at least 107 cases of the novel coronavirus. So far, eight persons have recovered.
A Reno police officer has contracted COVID-19. Police say the officer began experiencing symptoms on March 21st and was ordered to quarantine at home. He subsequently tested positive for the respiratory illness. The Health District is working to notify anyone who may have come into contact with the officer.
Flags are flying at half-staff in Nevada for a state trooper who was killed in the line of duty. Police say Sergeant Ben Jenkins had stopped to assist a driver on U.S. 93 in White Pine County, when 65-year-old John Darbitz shot him and stole his uniform and took off in his patrol car Friday. He was arrested several hours later about 18 miles from the scene. Jenkins leaves behind his wife and four children. He was 47 years old.
Traffic at the Reno-Tahoe International Airport has dropped significantly. Airport spokesman Brian Kulpin tells News 4 traffic has fallen 90 percent – at a time when it usually sees 9,000 passengers per day. Now, just 800 passengers are passing through because of canceled flights due to coronavirus. Kulpin says traffic hasn’t been this low since 9-11.